Friday, August 23, 2013

Vanilla Cupcake




I have been working for awhile to make the perfect cupcake.  Since moving too close to Georgetown Cupcake-I knew I was going to have to take the cupcake plunge to perfecting the cupcake because I just can't do $2.75 per cupcake.  Just not going to happen {ok, maybe on an extremely special occasion-like my birthday, yep, I spoiled myself}

I had looked at many recipe's-some having ingredients I had never even heard of-and I knew that was not going to work.

But I am here to tell you that I have done it.  Follow all the tips and tricks I give because I give them for a reason-because of failed attempts in the past. Some of the steps seem a little bit particular, but I promise it is not difficult!

{i know you will enjoy these as much as i do}




Vanilla Cupcake
adapted from: i am baker-tweeked by moi

6 egg whites (at room temperature)
1 cup milk (at room temperature)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 teaspoons almond extract

2 1/4 cups cake flour
2 cups sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt

1 1/2 cubes of unsalted butter (softened)


Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and line 2 muffin tins with 24 cupcake liners.

Wisk together the egg whites, milk, vanilla extract, almond extract and set aside.

With an electric beater, or kitchen aid whisk-blend all the dry ingredients together for about 30 seconds.

Cut 2 tablespoons of butter off at a time and add to the dry ingredients and beat the dry ingredients and butter well together.  Beat after each 2 tablespoons added.

Add half of the milk and egg mixture to the dry ingredients and beat on high for 1 1/2 minutes.  Add the rest of the milk mixture and beat on high for 1 minute.

Cook for 15-17 minutes (until toothpick comes out clean).  You do not want to overcook-they get dry.  They may not look done on the top because they may still have a wet look to them so make sure to test them with a toothpick.

Cool completely before frosting these cupcakes with the most delicious frosting EVER {and trust me-I have been hunting for that perfect frosting recipe-I am a hard frosting critic}




Vanilla Creamcheese Frosting

1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter
6 oz. creamcheese
3 Tablespoons milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
7-8 cups powdered sugar

Beat the butter and creamcheese together.  Add the remaining ingredients and mix for about 1 minute {test the frosting to see if it is the consistency you would like-if it's too thick add a LITTLE milk, if its too thin add some powdered sugar}

Here's the little secret:  Once you have the consistency you would like-whip this frosting for 5 minutes! Yes, just do it.  Thank you Georgetown Cupcakes for that little tip.  You have changed my world with frosting!  It makes the frosting so light and fluffy and basically heavenly.

To frost with a cute little poof on the top, put the frosting in a large plastic bag {or if you are fancy and have a decorating bag-use that}.  Cut a hole in the tip of the ziplock bag and squeeze the frosting in a spiral motion.  Start on the outside of the cupcake and swirl your way toward the middle.  Lift up and it will leave that cute little peak on top.




No comments:

Post a Comment