Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Live Within Your Means-WITHOUT Keeping A Budget

{I am horrible at keeping track of a budget}


So I am here to tell you many of my secrets:





Between being home owners with a mortgage where we came from, and now living in a high cost of living area I have had to learn how to stay within a "budget"- without actually keeping a budget {did I mention I am horrible at keeping a budget?}.



Listed Here are Ways that can help you in your lifestyle, but if you want to know the REAL secrets...read within each section. 


1. Grocery shop only 2-3 times a Month.
2. Meal plan. 
3. Do not eat out.
4. Get a Costco American Express.
5. Never, never, ever pay full price for clothing-ESPECIALLY kids clothing. 
6. Never go shopping because you have nothing better to do.
7. Only Holiday shop AFTER the holidays are over.
8. Go on Free Date Nights.
9. Share big purchase costs. 
10. Do not spend more than you earn.
11. If you impulse buy-remember it can usually be taken back.
12.  It's all in your Attitude!



1. Grocery shop only 2-3 times a Month 

(which means you have to plan ahead-see #2).  If you don't have a particular item to go with the "perfect meal"-chances are you can live without it!  I found that if I went grocery shopping more frequently, I was buying MORE food that I really didn't need.  It turned more into an "what am I in the mood for right now" shopping trip-which is never a good idea!


2. Meal plan.  

Choose a day in the week {I choose 2 Monday's out of the month} and look up all of your local grocery store ads.  Once I was familiar with the grocery stores in my area, I have now limited my ad search to just 4 grocery stores that I look up.  Go through the ads and write down items that look good to you, or items that you frequently use, along with the price.  Typically the FIRST and the LAST page of the ads are the ones I write the most items down from.  The first page typically has the biggest discounted items, and meat.  And the last page typically has fresh produce.  A lot of times the middle pages have good items, but it is mostly the processed packaged foods that I am not too interested in feeding me or my family!

After writing down all of the sale items, make meal plans for 1 1/2-2 weeks at a time USING those items that are in the ads that are on sale. Be specific in your meal plans-include everything: side dishes, salad toppings, snacks, desserts, etc.  {of course when you do your meal plans you are going to have a lot of items that are not on sale, but try as hard as you can to replace foods you may want to use with sale item foods}

Once you have created your meal plans make a FINAL grocery list for the specific stores in which you will be shopping (I generally only end up going to 1-2 stores).  Only include items on your grocery list that you will be needing for your meal plans! {"But, the____ is such a good deal!" Trust me-if it isn't part of your meal plan, you don't need it (unless it is canned food or something that can be frozen-then of course stock up on it)!} 

***If you are a coupon guru-this is where you want to bring the coupons into the scene.  NEVER go out an buy an item just because you have a coupon for it.  Once you look over your shopping list, if you happen to have a coupon that matches an item-then go ahead and use it.  Some companies send out a coupon for their product and then jack up the price for that product during the dates of that coupon so in reality you are not saving any money.  And again-don't buy things you don't need-even if you think it is a really good deal!


3. Do not eat out. 


Ok, that is an extreme statement.  But really, when you are planning your meals {see #2} there really is no need for you to eat out.  Occasionally I will plan to eat out for super special occasions {Anniversary, maybe?}.  But, even on birthdays, we just make an extra special meal at home.

Ok, I will confess-life sometimes gets so crazy that our meal plan might fall apart one night.  Life is not perfect.  If that does happen we go to Costco's food court and get either pizza or a hot dog or go to a fast food joint and order off the "dollar/value menu" only (but only do that rarely).  Its not the most healthy of food, but I think that once it a great while is not going to kill you.  And when we do go "out to eat" {Costco's food court, ha} we try to make it extra special for the kids, and make a big deal out of it!  It's great, and we actually really do love it!




4. Get a Costco American Express


{Gasp!}  Yes, this goes against what many financial "guru's" believe.  But let me just  tell you-a word of WARNING-do not get one if you have credit card debt issues.  If credit cards work great for your family, and you can pay them off in full each month, without making any interest payments then let me tell you how beneficial this is to you...

-it gives you a Costco membership {scary, but actually really helpful if you are sticking to that meal plan list we keep bringing up}
-it give you "3% Cash back at US gas stations and on gasoline at Costco up to $4,000 per year in purchases, (then 1%); 2% cash back at US restaurants; 2% cash back on eligible travel purchases, including at Costco; 1% cash back on other purchases, including at Costco. Terms and limitations apply."
-You will receive your cash back annually in the form of a reward coupon. {we don't spend our whole grocery shopping money at Costco but earn anywhere from $300-$400 back.  The reward coupon basically looks like a check from Costco that you have to either redeem for cash at the service desk, or you can use it like cash when purchasing groceries at Costco}
-I plan my shopping trips to Costco based on when I need gas, because Costco gas {at least where we are} is much cheaper than any other gas station!
-There are items you can buy at Costco that are WAY cheaper than you can find even on sale anywhere else-just don't fall into the trap of buying all of the really yummy items they happen to be sampling for the day, or a bulk item of snacks that you really probably could do without.

I have found THIS website to be amazing with what kinds of items you SHOULD and SHOULDN'T get from Costco.  You really can save a lot of money-and hello, an extra $300-$400 a year is A-Mazing!








5. Never, never, ever pay full price for clothing-ESPECIALLY kids clothing. 


I have found a way to buy the cheapest {NEW} kids clothing possible.  I almost feeling like I am robbing the stores because I walk away with LOADS of clothing that will last for a long time, for very little money.  Want to know my secrets?


Shop sales!  
No, this doesn't just mean go to the clearance rack and buy the red ticketed item. 

{Do that, but wait until there is a Sale on those red ticketed items-now we're talking $$$}.  If you are paying more than $5 for pants or shirts for your infant or toddler-you are paying too much.

-I would say about %50 of my kids clothing has come from Macy's. (The rest are either gifts, hand me downs, or an occasional splurge at a Carter's sale).  Every few months Macy's has these "one day sales" that only 2 type of people know about.  1) people who get the newspaper or 2) people who are owners of a Macy's credit card.  The reason why they are the only 2 people who know about it is because that is where the beloved magical coupon comes (either in the newspaper, or in a magazine that is sent to you if you are a credit card holder).  

The coupon is a $10 coupon-where if you buy $25 worth of clearance items you get $10 off!  So not only are you buying already clearanced items, but you get even MORE money off.  So you are thinking {must mean the selection totally stinks}.  But, it is actually amazing {I usually buy a lot of Carter's and Greendog brand and find them to be great!!}  When I know this coupon is in the newspaper, I go and get my hands on several newspapers, and buy all of my kids clothing for the whole next year.  
I also get baby gifts, and wedding gifts {in the home goods dept}.


-Sign up for Children's clothing email lists.  This can be super helpful when the store is having a super great sale-but be careful to not be sucked in to something that seems to be a great sale, but isn't!
-Shop on Craigs List.  A lot of times people will post BAGS of clothing for hardly any money which makes each item in the bag pennies at times.  I don't do this often because I sort of have a "thing" for used clothes that somebody else has worn-but hey if you don't mind it, that is the way to go!

Clothing for Me

Just don't buy any.  {Ok, in a perfect world maybe-but sometimes a girl has got to get something new-you know what I'm talking about, right?}  So on a rare occasion, I will use the Macy's coupon on me.  This can be hard because you have to pick through a lot of "old lady" clothes.  But I have found some really great things.

Also, Target and Old Navy clearance can be pretty amazing sometimes. You can also check in at Nordstrom Rack every once in a while too.   Just watch for sales.  Set an amount ahead of time before you go into the store, and do not go over that amount.

I am not even close to picture perfect, but here are some finds I have found, that I really don't think are too bad (don't mind the messy closet...)

Skirt: Macy's clearance $5.
Shirt: Banana Republic (super old so I don't remember-back when I was single and could afford it)
Necklace: Target clearance $5

Striped Shirt: Van Huesen outlet $6 (watch for their friends and family sale if your hubby needs new business attire).
Pants: Target clearance $7.50















Shirt: Target (I splurged and did not buy it on sale but I think it was still only $15)
Pants: Old Navy $14

I know that a lot of stores have warehouse sales.  Just sign up to be on their email list.  Shop smart, people!

6. Never go shopping because you have nothing better to do. 


People, there are plenty of things you can go do BESIDES shopping.  I find that on days that I just need to "get out" of the house and I end up at a place like the sinfully wonderful Target-I spend money I did not want to spend.  Or I get depressed because I see things I want, that I really shouldn't be spending my money on.

Make up a list of activities (that don't cost money) and resort to that list on those days that you need to "get out".

Okay, so what if shopping is your hobby-then make it useful.  If I am feeling desperate to go shopping {there is just sometimes something inside of me that yearns to do so}-shop for clearance items that you can use for birthday's or holiday gifts for family members.  If you shop the perimeter of Target, you can find random shelves of "Online Returned" items that are MEGA cheap! (I found a tool set regularly $30 for $2.50, and my mom found a toddler bed regularly $80 for $10).  But remember, only buy it if you have something in mind for it.  Never buy anything just because it was a good deal!


7. Only Holiday shop AFTER the holidays are over. 


Seriously?  YES.  The only time I buy holiday items is when the holiday has been over for 1-2 weeks.  Halloween costumes, decorations, Christmas gifts, etc.  I plan ahead, and then use it for the following year.  

{An Example}  In my neighborhood, we were close to several families and exchanged neighborhood Christmas gifts.  Not only can this get pricey, but it can be time consuming to worry about during the holiday season.  But because I had planned ahead, I had my neighborhood gift all ready to go from the year before, and it only cost me $.30 a gift!  {Cheap-o?  Nope, just smart!}.  We handed out a roll of wrapping paper, along with gift tags.  It was a great gift that people will actually use, instead of throw away (once you get your 50th fruit bread).


8. Free Date Nights. 


Is this possible!  Yes!  Here are a couple of tips.

-Make friends who have kids and plan to have kid exchanges on nights you want to go out with your spouse.  They take your kids, and then take their kids on a night so they can go out.
-Be creative on planning a night that is free.  DITCH THE MOVIES.  They are so ridiculously over priced, and not a great way to spend quality time with your spouse.  I am in LOVE with THIS website on date ideas.  Remember-Only check out the free dates.  And to be honest with you, the free dates are really the most fun!
-For entertainment we do not even have cable (COMPLETE RIP OFF!!!).  We do have netflix which is great!  Its less than $10/month and even has great education videos for kids!


9. Share big purchase costs. 


First, get to know your neighbors. Need a lawn mower?  A snow blower? A new saw?   How often are you going to use it? Probably not much, unless it is in the season thereof.  So, how about going in with a neighbor or two to purchase a large ticket item, and then set up a schedule with your neighbor on when or how this item will be used.  I caught drift of this idea after reading an article in our local news, and two neighbors even shared the cost of a mulch delivery to their house!  





10. Do not spend more than you earn. 


Just don't do it!  Before you go out shopping, check your bank account/credit card statement to see what financial state you are in for the month.  If you are running low on money.  Then don't go shopping and have fun being creative figuring out ways to live for the rest of the month {sometimes for us that means hot dogs or PB &J sandwiches for dinner}


11. If you impulse buy-remember it can usually be taken back.


If you are an impulse buyer, take the purchased item home and let it sit and stew for a couple of days.  If it an item you really feel like you can live without-then take it back!  I have found the best way to save receipts it to attach it to the purchased item.  If there are several items on a receipt, I just keep it in my wallet so I can go back to it if needed.


12.  It's all in your Attitude!

My dad from time to time would post motivational quotes on our fridge to keep us uplifted.  One he posted, will never ever leave me because of the impact it has had on my life.  It said:


"You cannot always change your circumstance, but you can always change your attitude about your circumstance" 
-My Dad.


If you keep a positive attitude and learn to love a more simple lifestyle, you are going to be a much happier person!  Even though we have less money than we have ever had in our marriage (Sounds backwards, huh?) I find ways to continue to love life!  Whether it is getting creative in meals plans, or figuring out what the next new FREE adventure our family will take, I love every step of the journey!









1 comment: