Sunday, July 14, 2013

Cookies + Cream {Cake}

I sort of have 2 stories that led me to this one amazing creation I made this past weekend.

Story {#1}

I am obsessed with Cake Boss.  I am no cake decorator, but my creative juices for baking go wild as I watch this show.  And I love the amazing cakes that I would have never even imagined possible be created.  During one episode, they added Oreo cookies to cake creme fillings to make a cookies and cream cake...I was sold-I had to try it! But I had never made my own cake filling before-time to experiment.  I was literally giddy as I put together my Cookies 'n Cream cake.

Story {#2)

Sometimes pinterest can lead you to unkind territory-unwanted failure.  I have tried a few creations that turn out horrible.  But again and again I try because to be honest-half of the fun is not know what the final result of this "claimed to be amazing" recipe is.  So I saw it again-"The BEST" cake recipe to ever exist.  I was somewhat skeptical at first, but I saw it all over Pinterest {Plastered everywhere}  It had to be good right?  So I followed the crowd on this one and decided to give it a try.


So Here it is:




I made that "Perfect Vanilla Cake" that has been circulating around Pinterest-and I'd have to say, it was pretty dang good.  My suggestion-follow the directions exactly!


The CREME filling:

{be sure roll your R's as you say cream to get the full effect of how giddy I was as I made this cake}

1/2 pint whip cream
1 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons instant vanilla pudding
1 sleeve crushed oreo cookies

Whip the first 3 ingredients.  Add the vanilla pudding and mix well by hand.  Let stand for 5 minutes to allow the pudding to completely dissolve into the whip cream-and watch the magic happens as it thickens into richly divine goodness.  Mix in the Oreo cookie crumbs.

Once the cake is completely cooled-fill the center of the cake.  This is going to be a nice and THICK layer! 


{Side Note}:  If you don't want to make a cookies and cream cake-add rasberries to the cream, or grasshopper cookies, or pecans, or chocolate chips, or slivered almonds, or strawberries to make this cake whatever flavor you want it to be!
thesweetruffle.blogspot.com



Then Frost away using your favorite cake frosting.  I used THIS buttercream frosting.  It was pretty dang good, but-a little too buttery for me (I know...it was BUTTERcream, but still...)


And here is the final product



thesweetruffle.blogspot.com

(remember I am not a cake decorator-but I also know I could have done a better job on the cake-I was making the cake to surprise my hubby for his birthday and he was on his way home from work and so I had to hurry!)


Even though the colors on this cake are somewhat plain-this really was the best cake I have ever tasted-and I am a pretty hard critic when it comes to cakes.

I am totally open to new frosting recipe's too-still looking for that perfect one!










No comments:

Post a Comment