Wednesday, July 10, 2013

DIY Canvas Prints

I had seen this and thought that it looked really cute in the pictures, but thought for sure if I had tried it in real life, it would not look good.  I didn't even want to try it because canvas can be expensive.  But I was sure wrong!

I was shopping for some fun crafty CHEAP activities I could do with my toddler, so I went to WalMart.  While I was browsing the crafting isle, I came across possibly one of my best discoveries yet!

{packages of blank canvas}

And even better, they were the cheapest I have ever seen!  Father's day was coming up (I know I am a little bit behind at updating)-and I thought it would be perfect to make canvas pictures for the grandfather's of my kiddos for the perfect {and cheap} gift!

I was a little nervous at first because I thought they might look too "homemade", but I was actually really, really happy with the way they turned out!!

When my hubby came home from work, he saw the pictures and thought I had spent the big $$$ buckaroos printing a canvas print.







{The Supplies}:

Canvas (2 pack at Walmart for $5.79=$2.90 a canvas)
Mod Podge
Printed Picture
Foam Brush
Razor & Cutting board






{Steps}:

1) Using your foam paint brush, apply a layer of mod podge directly onto the canvas.

2) Place picture onto the canvas and turn the canvas with the picture adhered upside down (as pictured below) and press firmly. This is to ensure you remove any air bubbles, or places that did not secure well to the glue originally.




3) Let try for however long your mod podge recommends.

4) Using a razor cut off any excess edge you may have (even if it just a tiny strip hanging over the edge-it will make it look more professional)




5) Using your foam brush, coat a thin layer of mod podge over the top of the picture 

{important: If you used a laser jet printer-or printed the picture yourself, chances are your ink is going to smear.  Print your picture somewhere cheap such as Costco, or Walmart!}

Some are nervous to mod podge over the top of pictures, but I promise, it will give it a much more finished look!  You will not be disappointed!



6) Once the first coat is completely dry, put on a second coat. (if you do not wait and put a second coat-it will likely smear globs of mod podge all over your picture)

Once your second coat is finished, you will have a beautiful canvas picture to hang in your house!





Since these are so cheap and easy to make they are also great for mothers day, father's day, birthday, or Christmas gifts for parents and grandparents!  Grandparents can never get enough pictures of their grandchildren, right?













1 comment:

  1. You've got a very good topic here. I'll be sharing your page to our clients. They'll learn a great deal from this subject and the comments.

    Canvas Prints

    ReplyDelete