Monday, July 8, 2013

Chewy Chocolatey Marshmallow Brownies


This recipe was handed down to me from my mom.  I'm not sure where she got it from, but any recipe you can find in my moms collection is guaranteed to be not just great, but the best!  I am a pretty good baker, but I don't know if I could ever aspire to reach my moms level of greatness.

She has made these brownies for as long as I can remember.  Sometimes with the marshmallows and sometimes without, but we ALWAYS have the {frosting}!

My favorite time to eat these is on a hot summer day with a bowl full of homemade strawberry ice cream. Or on a cold winters night, snuggled up in a blanket, satisfying my winter chocolate craving.

You can make these in a 9x13 baking dish as you would regular square brownies.  Or you can make them as 24 individual cupcake brownies-{especially if you want to make an impressive dessert for your upcoming party.}

There is a gooey-ness about marshmallows and chocolate combined that seems to just make about any moment in life perfectly satisfying.

Brownies

1 cup butter (2 cubes-at room temperature)
2 cups granulated sugar
4 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
2 teaspoons salt

Cream butter and sugar.  Add eggs and and vanilla and beat well until very creamy looking.  Add dry ingredients and mix in well. The batter with be thick.

Grease your cooking pan well-either a 9x13 baking dish or 2 cupcake pans (enough for 24 cupcakes).  Pour brownie batter into your baking dish.  

Bake at 350 degrees.

9x13 pan-cook for 25 minutes, take brownies out and cover entire surface with marshmallows and place back in the oven for 3-4 minutes, or until marshmallows look about double their size.

Cupcake pan-cook for 13 minutes, take out and cover tops of cupcakes with marshmallows (about 10-12 minis). Place back in oven for 2-3 more minutes.

Wait until brownies are completely cool to frost.

If you are one of those imitation vanilla users-I can gurantee you that these brownies will be a million times better if you use {REAL VANILLA EXTRACT} in the frosting!

Frosting

1/4 cup soft butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup cocoa
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
milk to consistency you prefer (I use about 1/4 cup)

Beat all together and frost away!  It is much easier frosting marshmallow once it is completely cooled!  If you are frosting the cupcakes-remove them from the cupcake pan before frosting-it will make your life much easier.

Mmmm...my mouth is watering for this gooey goodness just thinking about them!

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment